Description: JOB TITLE: Assistant Director
REPORTS TO: The West River Center Director
LOCATION: West River, MD
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, Exempt
West River Center Overview
The West River Center is a 220-bed camp and retreat center with a mile of waterfront along the West River south of Annapolis, MD. We operate day and residential summer camps and host a wide variety of retreat groups throughout the rest of the year. We are a ministry of the Baltimore-Washington Conference (BWC) of the United Methodist Church.
The Assistant Director position is focused primarily on the creation, development, and execution of programming for both summer campers and retreat groups. The ideal person for this position must be equally adept at planning all aspects of the program experience and firsthand facilitation of adventure activities, training and managing paid and volunteer leaders, and mediating conflict resolution.
• Manage all aspects of both day and residential summer camp including program design, logistics, staff and volunteer recruitment, and training.
• Design and implement West River led retreat programs and meet retreat group programming requests.
• Coordinate school group programs.
• Build relationships with churches, community organizations, and businesses.
• Strengthen the connection between RCM and other BWC young people’s ministries.
• Develop effective promotion of West River programs.
• Supervise the Aquatics and Hospitality Coordinator.
• Serve as a representative of the BWC to users of the site, potential guests, United Methodist Churches, local and government health and regulatory agencies and the surrounding community.
• Other duties as assigned by the Site Director.
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent experience.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in retreat & camping ministry, youth ministry, or related field.
• The following certifications (or relevant experience and ability to attain within 1 year): ACCT Level 1 or higher, Maryland State Boaters License, USA Archery Level 2 Instructor Trainer or higher (preferred), Pool Operator Certification (preferred), American Canoe Association Certification (preferred), American Red Cross Lifeguard (preferred)
Application Instructions: Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to email@example.com by Monday, March 1, 2021. Must be able to pass a criminal background check and drug screening due to our work with children. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Baltimore-Washington Conference is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Application Deadline: March 1, 2021
Location: West River, Maryland