The Executive Director is a full-time position responsible for providing direct leadership, guidance and supervision of Sumatanga Camp and Retreat Center (The Camp) in achieving its Mission, Vision and Values to provide excellence in the Christian camping and retreat experience. He/she must assure the highest level of service, quality, and business acumen to achieve and sustain the camping and retreat ministry for the communities served. The Executive Director must have practical leadership and demonstrated operational skills to oversee and manage full-time/part-time employees, contract labor, apprentices, seasonal staff, and volunteers. Leadership responsibilities include: strategic forecasting and ministry trending; providing consistent oversight of staff, including technical, security and safety training; maintaining high levels of satisfaction with provided services; providing sound financial management; and interacting in a consistent and positive way with the churches and communities served.
Reporting Relationship: The Executive Director is under the direct supervision of the independent Sumatanga Board of Trustees.
• Three to five years of leadership experience in adult, youth and/or children Christian education and/or camping
• A close personal relationship with Christ and the ability to articulate the call to ministry
• A college degree in a related field with master’s degree strongly preferred
• Strong preference for one who has attained or is actively pursuing certification in Specialized Camp & Retreat Ministry as outlined by the General Board of Higher Education & Ministry of the United Methodist Church.
• At least 30 years of age
• Strong interpersonal skills with evidence of high integrity, professionalism and faithful living
• Wesleyan/Methodist affiliation and background
• Effective written and verbal communication skills including experience in engaging public speaking to large and small audiences
THE COMPLETE JOB DESCRIPTION IS POSTED ON THE SUMATANGA WEBSITE – Sumatanga.org/job-openings
||Send Resume with Cover Letter to Board Secretary at SandyWBrown@yahoo.com. Top candidates will be invited to an in-person interview on site.
||September 30, 2020
||Gallant, Alabama. Executive Director may live on-site or neighboring cities including Birmingham area