Intern, Waypost Camp (temporary position, ending October 2021)
Crossways Lutheran Camping Ministries
Waypost Camp is located in Hatley, WI and provides an incredible opportunity to engage guests in both faith development and environmental education. As part of Crossways Lutheran Camping Ministries, Waypost collaborates with the staff and volunteers of two other year-round camps, the administrative office, and 140 ELCA congregations. Member of Lutheran Outdoor Ministries and ACA accredited.
Waypost Camp hopes to recruit and equip someone looking to get into professional camping administration. The intern will experience the seasonal variety of camp life, gaining a year of outdoor ministry experience.
Responsible to: The Waypost Intern is supervised by the Waypost Camp Director. The Executive Director has final authority, and all staff are finally accountable to the Executive Director. Within this accountability, the Intern shall receive the delegated authority and responsibility to carry out the tasks described below:
• Assist with general camp operations, including housekeeping, food service, and maintenance
• Deliver hospitality and hosting to all groups on site
• Take primary responsibility for all programming, operations, and supervision during the Summer Camp season
• Implement camp and congregational programs, including Bible study, retreat activities, outdoor/environmental education, and leadership/discipleship training
• Assist Waypost Director with administrative tasks, including managing property and maintenance needs, recruiting and supervising staff, ACA accreditation, etc.
• Cooperate with Crossways staff to implement marketing and communication plans
• Coordinate and engage with volunteers, supporters, and congregations
• Attend professional trainings as determined by supervisor (paid by Crossways)
• Typical work schedule includes a mix of day, evening, and weekend hours
• Possess a strong faith consistent with the theology and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
• High school degree required; Bachelor’s degree preferred. Must be at least 22 years old.
• Must live in the on-site housing provided (private house with utilities paid)
• Willingness to learn and grow, and to collaborate in a team setting.
• Ability to use and learn appropriate tools and technology.
Physical Criteria: A qualified candidate is one who is able, with or without accommodations, to:
• Lift up to 50 lbs regularly
• Endure standing and moving for long periods of time (60 minutes or more)
• Identify and respond quickly to visual and auditory input, including those relating to environmental and other hazards, as well as camper and staff behavior
• Move safely over uneven terrain or in confined spaces
• Safely operate electric and gas-powered camp maintenance equipment
• Driver’s license required, and also the physical ability to drive a camp vehicle
Crossways is an equal opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Compensation: Fixed salary of $1,250 per month paid semi-monthly.
• One week of paid time off
• Holidays as listed in the Employee Handbook
• Attendance at one Lutheran Outdoor Ministry professional development event
To Apply: Submit your resume and cover letter by email or mail.
Crossways Camping Ministries
attn: Sharon Cook
912 N. Oneida St.
Appleton, WI 54911
Application Instructions: Submit your resume and cover letter by email or mail. Sharon@CrosswaysCamps.org Crossways Camping Ministries attn: Sharon Cook 912 N. Oneida St. Appleton, WI 54911
Application Deadline: December 1, 2020