Description: Blue Lake United Methodist Camp is seeking a full-time Program Director. We are located in lower Alabama and serve the Alabama-West Florida Conference. We are seeking a vibrant go-getter to join our Blue Lake family and take our incredible ministry to the next level. This position includes competitive salary, housing, paid time off and health care.
Job Description for Blue Lake Program Director ( 09/16/2019)
The Program Director will have the following qualifications:
• A Bachelor Degree in field related to ministry: Children’s Ministry, Divinity, Camp and Retreat Ministries, Education. Special consideration given for those with Camping and Retreat Certification.
• At least 4 years experience in retreat and outdoor ministries or related field of ministry.
• Committed to a Christian camp and retreat ministry
• Committed to the doctrines, discipline, and social principles of the United Methodist Church (preferably a member of a UMC)
• Possess good communication skills for working with the Blue Lake UMA staff and volunteers
The Program Director will be responsible for:
• The summer and winter Conference camping ministry
1. Recruiting deans – working with Program Committee to determine returning and new leadership, and help to develop training and orientation experiences for them
2. Setting program schedule – Coordinate with BL Staff and Program Committee to set events schedule
3. Work with Director of Blue Lake and Program/Finance/Policy committees to set fees for camps
4. Monitoring and overseeing daily operations of summer and winter camps and retreats throughout the year
• Developing program, identifying leadership, and overseeing new Retreat Ministry events throughout the year for appropriate ages and communities.
• Working with the Blue Lake staff, the Program and Marketing Committees, and the Conference Communications office to advertise and market the camping and retreat experience.
• Working with the Program Committee to recruit and hire summer camp staff.
• Supervising and training of the summer camp staff. Be responsible for spiritual growth opportunities for permanent and seasonal staff.
• Meeting regularly with related ministry representatives in the Conference.
• Maintaining a connection to the General Board of Discipleship Camping and Retreat Ministries.
The Program Director will sit on the following committees:
• Blue Lake UMA Board of Trustees
• Blue Lake UMA Program Committee and all subcommittees
• Blue Lake UMA Staff
The Program Director will answer directly to the Executive Director of Blue Lake UMA. The Program Director will perform other duties as necessary and assigned by the Executive Director or the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees.
In addition, the Program Director will be available for the following:
Be a Conference Resource
• Speak and train as requested around the Conference on issues appropriate to skills
• Help oversee and maintain marketing projects
• Provide a presence at Conference events to promote Blue Lake programs
• Oversee social media presence
Serve on Conference Committees
• Children’s Ministries team
• Youth ministry team
• Safe Sanctuaries Committee
• Other committees as needed and requested
Continuing Education in Camping and Retreat Ministry
• ACA Conferences and certification process
• UM Camping and Retreat Ministry events
• Certification through Drew University for CR Ministries
• Other training opportunities thru UM CRM and Conference
• Follow trends and be informed of best practices in the camping industry.
• Work on site as needs assisting in cleaning, organizing, leading activity, sound board, media, etc.
• Vision future goals, projects, and activities for site.
• Analyze current policy and work with policy committee to adapt as needed.
• Communicating to and training the permanent staff throughout the year as appropriate.
• Promote Camp and Retreat Ministries in non-conference settings as appropriate.
• Be prepared to serve as ‘on call’ staff during events and guest group stays.
Application Instructions: Send Resume to Program Director Search
Application Deadline : October 29th, 2019
Location: 8500 Oakwood Lane , Andalusia AL 36420