PACIFIC NORTHWEST CONFERENCE, UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
JOB DESCRIPTION TITLE: Designated Managing Director for N-Sid-Sen Camp and Retreat Center
LOCATION: Harrison, Idaho, on Lake Coeur d’Alene
DURATION : 2-3 years, with option to apply for permanent position
REPORTS TO: PNCUCC Conference Minister
COMPENSATION: $50,000-60,000 salary plus housing provided (valued at $18K+/yr), 14% pension, health/vision/dental, cell phone allowance
Vision and Mission Statements: The Pacific Northwest Conference of the United Church of Christ (hereafter, PNCUCC) lives through its camps, churches, and communities by offering God's welcome to all, listening to one another, bearing witness, and working for justice.
Site Summary: N-Sid-Sen Camp and Retreat Center is a year-round ministry of PNCUCC that hosts and helps coordinate conferences, retreats, special events, and camps for people of all ages. Although some of these activities are directly related to the members and churches of PNCUCC, our facility also provides a place of extravagant welcome for people of other faiths, non-profits, and service organizations.
Our conference is one of the few in the UCC to have two such centers. The other is Pilgrim Firs and over the last decade, these two camps have worked closely together.
The relationship between the camps and the conference is strong, and there is much appreciation for the ministry and outreach accomplished at our camps. As other camps are experiencing, we too have seen use of our camps suffer during the pandemic. Not unrelated, our conference churches have also experienced a decline in active involvement (many noting this decline in children’s programming). As our Managing Director of several years moves on to a position at our other camp on the Olympic Peninsula, we find ourselves most in need of solid, can-do leadership for this next season in which we find ourselves together. As we search for who might join us on this journey, we are also examining the conference's current systems for camp support and accountability, as we have found that they are not fully meeting the needs of the camps. We’re hoping that our incoming Designated Managing Director will have the skills, experience, patience, and persistence to help us create the systems we need.
Position Summary: As a member of the staff of PNCUCC, this position will be supervised by the Conference Minister and work cooperatively with other staff members. This person will be responsible for the management of the site and maintaining the integrity of its programs by:
• Providing a ministry of hospitality to all users of the site.
• Ensuring that all attendees have a safe, comfortable, and quality experience.
• Recruiting, training, supervising, and annually evaluating the appropriate staff within the guidelines and policies of PNCUCC as well as federal, state, and local laws.
• Working with the PNCUCC offices and appropriate committees to make sure that the camp is well-managed fiscally.
• Working with churches and committees of the PNCUCC to continue a tradition of faithful, thoughtful, and meaningful programming as well as evaluating the effectiveness of this programming.
• Traveling within the conference to participate in selected conference activities.
• Reporting back to the conference board and its churches about the gifts and challenges experienced in this setting as well as the visions emerging there.
• Maintaining the excellent condition of the facility while also considering ways that the site could be improved and users’ experiences could be enhanced.
• Participating and collaborating with the Pilgrim Firs managing director in the development of materials and strategies for the promotion of the facilities and programs.
• Continuing to further N-Sid-Sen’s relationship with the surrounding community as a good steward of the land and a good neighbor.
• To expand uses and opportunities for the camp, and to establish the camp and staff as partners with the Conference in providing exceptional N-Sid-Sen experiences for those who are both within and outside our faith family.
Qualities and qualifications we’re seeking in our new manager include:
• A clear understanding that this position is about good Christian ministry as well as good management.
• A commitment to be familiar with, and supportive of, the mission and ministry of the United Church of Christ and the ways we live that out in the Pacific Northwest Conference.
• A Christian who is able to help coordinate and participate in activities such as prayers, songs, and worship.
• Direct and significant experience managing and supervising employees that, ideally, would include managing a camp or similar organization. Other recent, relevant experiences will also be considered (ie. other camp-related experience; business or non-profit management experience; etc.)
• An ability to ascertain and address (or oversee the address of) issues related to facilities, management of the property, services of hospitality, food service, communication and information infrastructure
• A sense that this person highly values working collaboratively and is able to discern those situations when collaboration is most helpful and appropriate for themselves, the staff, the camp, and/or the conference.
• An ability to balance appropriately the fiscal responsibilities with a growing vision for the facility.
• An ability to express compassion and kindness to users of the facility while, at the same time, clearly stewarding the integrity, safety, and mission of the facility.
Job descriptions represent a general outline of job duties, functions, and qualifications within the guidelines of PNCUCC policies. They are not intended to be comprehensive or a contract of employment. In addition, jobs evolve over time and the job description may not reflect the precise nature of the position at any given point in time.
Application Instructions: Please send resume and 3 phone references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Website: N-Sid-Sen Camp & Retreat Center