Camp Bays Mountain, a United Methodist Camp and Retreat Center near Kingsport, Tennessee, seeks a Program Director to oversee their summer camp and retreat ministry starting in January 2024.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
• Starting salary is $36,000 per year as a YEAR-ROUND, FULL-TIME, EXEMPT employee
• Free housing on site is provided May – July each summer
• Mileage reimbursement for use of personal vehicle while on camp business
• Paid continuing education and certifications are available
• Personal Leave is four weeks per year plus ten paid holidays
• Payroll twice monthly
• Health insurance is available if needed with an employee/employer split
• Meals are included anytime the dining hall is serving
OVERALL LEADERSHIP EXPECTATIONS:
1. Expand and lead the entire summer camp program as the point person
2. Recruit, hire, supervise, and lead our summer staff in offering hospitality, Christian education, and adventure for our campers
3. Market summer camp and retreat usage among UMC churches, other churches, to the general public, and with strategic partnerships
4. Oversee summer camp registration with a goal of 435 campers in 2024 (421 last summer)
5. Develop and grow new specialty programming (Christmas Camp, Confirmation Camp)
6. Oversee the usage of our clergy/church leader Sabbatical Cabin
7. This position offers the right person an opportunity to dream, vision, create, and organize new creative ministries to expand our current program.
8. A college degree is expected and especially appreciated in some form of ministry, leadership, recreation, communications, business, or social work
CHARACTERISTICS WE SEEK OF OUR PROGRAM DIRECTOR:
• A disciple of Jesus Christ seeking to be a positive role model among staff and campers
• Enjoyment of the outdoors
• Must understand ministry with children and youth in the Wesleyan Christian tradition
• Hospitality as something he or she is passionate about
• Ability to mentor young staff into vibrant leaders
HOW TO APPLY:
1. Send a resume with three references by December 7 (application deadline)
2. Those persons selected for an interview will be contacted by December 11
3. Interviews will be held the week of December 11 and notification will be by Dec. 21
4. First day of employment will be mid-January or as soon as the person is available
5. The applicant must pass a criminal background check prior to the starting date
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO APPLY:
Rev. Jeff Wadley, Director
Email your resume and references to email@example.com
MINISTRY OVERVIEW AT CAMP BAYS MOUNTAIN:
Our camp began in 2015 as a continuation of the legacy of the former Buffalo Mountain Camp which was closed due to a flood event in 2012. That legacy, which started in 1947, continues here at Camp Bays Mountain in a year-round ministry with a vibrant and well-known summer camp program and retreat ministry. Those two parts constitute our mission.
Our first summer camp was held off-site in 2016 with a camp-in-the-community model (for younger campers) and a traveling high adventure week (for older campers). We began our weekly residential and day camps in 2018 which have grown each year supported by a brand-new facility and eager staff. Currently we have an overnight capacity of 65 overnight and 15 day campers per week (or 560 campers total per summer). So, we are at 75% capacity and are searching for the right person to expand our reach.
In addition, we have a 48-bed retreat lodge, 100-person dining hall, 35’ climbing tower, picnic shelter, zero-entry pool, six-element challenge course, archery range, slingshot range, 3 miles of hiking trails, and more with canoeing, kayaking, caving, and ziplining nearby. The region has other opportunities for adventure for our camp to explore that is untapped.
Retreats are our other programming avenue as we host groups from around the area for their event, and we create our own opportunities for children and youth to enjoy camp throughout the year. We have a brand-new cabin for use by clergy and church leaders that needs to launch.
Camp Bays Mountain operates year-round and stewards almost 100 acres of land adjoining Bays Mountain Park within the City of Kingsport. The camp is financially stable and has several endowments/special funds for its upkeep, scholarships, and the general operating budget. The new program director will be part of a team which has a desire to offer Christ to children, youth, and adults while enjoying a place set apart for worship, study, discovery, and community. Consider your future ministry at Camp!
Website: Camp Bays Mountain